Friday, March 26, 2010

The renovation is taking shape

I have been fighting with the leaves for days now. I finished raking all the beds except the west side of the ponds. I then took all the leaves to the backyard and piled them beside the composting bins. I commenced to chipping them up all day Wednesday. I even chipped up the bushes that have laid back there for a year. It was an awful job, and not one that I look forward to doing again this fall. But it will have to be done. I spent about eight hours chipping away and I did not think the pile of leaves would ever stop. OK , enough of my complaining. The good news is that I have enough mulch to spread across the flower beds. That is what I spent today doing. Well that is not completely accurate. I spent the first half of the day moving plants. I needed to move all of the plants in the old Den of Mischief and relocate them to the new flower gardens. I also moved a few plants that were not getting the right requirements to grow nicely.


This is not the ideal time to move most of the following plants but I have a party to prepare for. These daffodils are holding on much better than the other daffodils I moved.

A couple of photos of the backyard as of today.



I am hoping to have the greenhouse in full gear this weekend. We will see.

A few of the 15 Ostrich Ferns that I moved today. You can barely see them, but they are starting to wake up.



This is a spirea that was crowding my Variegated Hydrangea so it needed to move. I hope it gets enough sun here.


This photo shows most of the new flower bed which is an extension of the Woodlands.

This Ligularia loves this spot. I moved her last year and she is loving this spot.

I am very nervous about this phlox and Oriental Lily. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that she will be just fine.

I had moved these Day Lilies this last week and they are doing fine.

I do not know exactly what this shrub is called but I call it an Old Fashioned Hydrangea. It was originally in the West Lawn and in full shade and did well, so it should be fine here.

This is a view from behind the bench in the gazebo. My hope is that this vine takes over and covers the ground and the fence.

This is an Autumn Joy Sedum. I have had this for years. It should be much larger than this but it was in an awful spot.

All of the shrubs and bushes that were moved this past week are showing good signs of life. Knock on wood, but they do not seemed stressed.

They will hopefully do better now that they have some mulch at their feet, besides mud.

I have a White Clematis protected by the bamboo. It bloomed for the first time last year. I hated to move her, but when we got the shed last year, it diminished her sunlight.

It won't be long and this bed will be full of Hosta's.



It is impossible to see in this photo, but the beds behind the bar are completely planted. I put in Ostrich Ferns, Trumpet Vine, Hosta, Lily of the Valley, and a Lilac.

This bed will be overgrown in about a month.

I am determined to mark all my Lilies this year.

I needed to trim the Pinky Winky Hydrangea. The branches were broken in different places, and I was worried about it getting diseased.

This was just one bloom about 3 years ago. I guess she is happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment