Friday, March 19, 2010

Lanai fountain disaster

I could not bring myself to blog about my yard activities last night. I was to distraught. Below is a photo of the Lanai fountain last year about this time. I decided to clean up the fountain yesterday and I did just that. As I was preparing the bricks that support the terracotta pots I dropped a brick. Of course with my luck you know what happened. Yes, it ripped the liner. And it ripped the liner about 2 inches from the bottom. There was no fixing the liner. She was toast. After I gathered myself, I figured out that I had two options. I could either gut it completely and start a new fountain, or, I could build a new fountain.


Here is the fountain in a prettier time.

And here she is as of today.

I compromised and decided to go with option 3. Keeping the fountain, replacing the liner, but adding a waterfall. After all, I do not have enough to do.


I scored all the extra cinder block from my sister, who was getting rid of them. I also scored some old rubber roofing from her as well, and used it as the new liner. I had the brick in the bottom of the fountain to hold the old terracotta pots. I had to buy a couple bags of Mortar mix.

What a giant mess.

I had to at least clean up the porch a little so I could work without killing myself on some random crap.

At this point I had added a second liner for the waterfalls and starting placing stones. I wanted to get an idea of how it would look.

The brick you see stacked up on the right, is only there to ensure things do not fall until the mortar is set. The mirror table on the left is junk. I was thinking about hanging the mirrors in random places in the garden. I have not decided yet, of course I will keep you posted.

It is hard to tell from this photo, but there are three levels to this waterfalls. If you notice the black grate in the bottom left corner of the photo below, this will hold the water plants. Keep in mind that the grate is about 3 foot long. Having added a second fountain this year, I will not have the overcrowding I have had in the past. I say this now, but this usually only means one thing. More plants. lol Just kidding Honey, I know we have no room in the house.

With any luck and the weather on my side this baby should be finished tomorrow. Lets all say a little prayer that it works like a dream. I cannot take another set back.

No comments:

Post a Comment