Sunday, March 21, 2010

Plans for a flagstone patio

As I drank my first cup of coffee, I decided to fill up the new water feature to see if it was working properly. I have one small glitch I need to take care of, but hopefully it will be minor. Here is a photo of the fountain in working order.



As I had my coffee, I was discussing with Honey the new bar area plans. Honey mentioned he liked the step I had made and thought it would be good if the bar area was like the step. What a better idea than to just add more gravel to the new area.

It is not very often that Honey has an opinion about how the gardens should look. When he does come up with an idea I try to make it happen. So the plans of the new flagstone patio were born. Since I am a member of the NOW family I needed to jump right into it.

First I needed to collect the stones for the flagstone patio. I need to mention that some of these stones are heavy as hell.

Then I needed to move all the plants that were going to be in the way of the new patio.

I am a little concerned about this Old fashioned Lilac because of her size. I moved her first, I took a good sized root ball with her so I am hopeful she will be OK.


I did not even want to move these Asiatic Lilies in fear they won't bloom this year. But I need to get the patio built so they had to go. Again I took a giant root ball with them, and I will watch them closely. They are in desperate need of mulch, like the rest of the backyard.


I planted this Rose of Sharon on the dog side of the fence. This explains the make shift barricade to eliminate them from digging it up. Once it gets established I will move the barricade. I need a more appealing barricade however. Oh I know, I will make a barricade out of the bamboo I have been pulling up.




It is hard to see in this photo, but there are four Day Lilies in the new flower bed. This will be a continuation of The Woodlands garden bed. I am hopeful that the southern side of this bed will receive enough sunlight for my sun loving perennials. As for the rest of this bed, it will mostly be Ferns and Hostas.


This is the area where all of the plants I have mentioned called home. This will be the new home of the flagstone patio/bar.


1 comment: