Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The West Lawn resurrection

If you hadn't noticed, I have not done any work in The West Lawn for a few years. There is a reason for this sad reality. We have lived here for over 11 years, and about 3 years ago we had some tragedy. Our septic system failed. The septic tank is located directly underneath Honey's Petunia Patch. The Petunia Patch is located smack dab in the middle of The West Lawn. Need I say more? It has been a horrible. There is good news however. After a couple years of heartache, an exhausting day of digging, and another day of plumbers and voila. All systems are a go. YEAH!!!! This means that I can now garden in The West Lawn.



You can see Honey's Petunia Patch in the lower portion of the photo. This particular year we planted purple Salvia's, white and purple Assylium and a couple of purple Daisies.

This blooming Viburnam is now located in the backyard.

The Wisteria on the right is now located on the new arbor inside the Lanai garden.

I cannot believe how small the Redbud tree and the Snowball bush are in this photo.

I use to drink my coffee on the swing at the far left of the photo. I loved how the foliage grew up so fast and enclosed The West Lawn into its own secluded sanctuary. The only entrance was through this arbor.

I had recently pruned the Rose of Sharon bushes in the background, but they will fill out soon with the growing season upon us. The Wisteria might be gone from the right side of the arbor, but there are two smaller Wisteria's still there. I might have to wait another year or two before she is back to her former glory, but she is well on her way.


One last sad fact of The West Lawn, is this Redbud tree. She is beautiful, and I waited for years before she would bloom, however this will be her last bloom. She is located too close to the pipes leading to the septic tank. The root system will more than likely damage the pipes and cause us plumbing problems in the future if she is left to her own devices. So sadly I will have to cut her down this summer. I will plant something with a much smaller root system in her place. There is a small part of the tree that I might be able to cut off from the parent tree and replant elsewhere.
This is a Queen of the Night Tulip, that I did not even realize it had survived.



No comments:

Post a Comment