Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tiki Statue

So I wake up today and decided it was time to attempt making the tiki statue. I have done a little research on tiki carving, but other than that, I have no clue what I am doing. I have never even cut a log straight with a chainsaw, let alone create an image. But I just threw caution to the wind and went for it. I knew there was a few logs laying in a ditch just down the street that would be perfect for my project.



After making a quick drawing on the log, I broke out the chain saw. A few cuts later I was wondering if I was completely wasting my time.

I then broke out a small chisel and hammer.

I new I had made a couple of bad cuts with the chainsaw, but I was moderately happy at this point. I went ahead and broke out a hand sander and liked it even more.


I tried to make it a little cleaner but without the proper tools it is what it is. I went ahead and stained the tiki.


I was really happy after I put on the stain.

I thought it might be even better to blacken the eyes and around the mouth. I then decided to put a touch of color on the top.

After looking at it with the paint I have decided I hate it. I am going to wait until tomorrow to give it a second chance. The paint is still wet so it might dull, but I doubt it. I think the paint makes it look more like a kindergarten project. I liked it best with just the stain. Any thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment