Friday, April 23, 2010

Surprise seedlings

I sowed Cleome seeds, aka Spider plants twice already. I did not having much success. I sowed a bunch of Cleome seeds that I harvested last fall and none had came up. Eventually about 6 came up. Then I decided to sow the remainder of the seeds I had left over from the 2008 season. Only a few came up. I was quite bummed because I loved these flowers.
I was walking through the gardens with dad yesterday when he pointed out all the little seedlings in the Heirloom garden. He asked me what they were, and I was at a loss. I had no idea. I had not planted anything in the Heirloom garden this season. I had to think about the flowers that were there last season. After a some thought and investigation work I believe that I have Cosmo and Cleome seedlings coming up, in abundance. I knew that they were perennials, however I thought that they needed a warmer climate. We had a very cold winter so this is a shock to me.

I apologize for the blurry photo, but this is a Cosmo seedling.

Here is a good photo of a larger Cleome seedling with many more smaller seedlings all around.


2 comments:

  1. Was this cleome(spider plant)the one I asked you
    to save some seed for me last year when it was in bloom;you had pink and lavender colors?
    Your Aunt Eunice always had this come up every year.She called it the spider plant.I loved it!
    Thank you for the cleome and cosmos seedlings!!!
    LU, Aunt Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and your welcome. I can still give you some seeds if you like, maybe you will have better luck with the harvested seeds than I did. I was told Aunt Eunice also had White Cleomes.

    ReplyDelete