Friday, April 2, 2010

New flower beds

This is what I wish I was doing today, but I had to much to do. How cute is that?

I was taking up sod for the new flower bed and decided to place it here. I plan on putting in a few stepping stones instead of a path.

Some people lay down a hose to mark out their new flower beds. Not me. I use what ever is handy, which happened to be a few Tikki torches in this case.

After taking up the sod, I turned over the soil, then added some compost. Generally I just start digging holes where I plan to plant. Today I was feeling motivated. It should work out better this way.

I added a lot of plants that I received from my sisters. They both had flower beds that they were taking up. How lucky am I.

Most of the plants are Iris, Poppy, Lily, Tulip with a couple of plants I am not sure about. I will have to wait until they bloom to investigate what they are. The Tulips are very bitter with me, because this is not the season to transplant Tulips. In my gardens, things have to work on my schedule. lol

I am not sure how well the sod will work, only time will tell. It looks better than dirt, and is better to walk on than mud.

Another photo of the new bed.

I also decided to plant some things along the south fence. I had this shrub growing in my Rose garden, and it needed to go. I am not sure what the name of this plant is called. I believe it is some kind of Spirea. I had cut it down last year and it came back with a vengeance. I dug it out this time so it will not be bothering me again. At least not in the Rose garden. I call it the Rose garden, but in all honesty I only have 3 Knockout roses growing there. I do however plan on getting more.

I added some Lilies that needed to get out of my Hosta garden. I decided to put them at the base of these Spirea. I am not sure they will get enough sun to bloom. Regardless, they help to add some greenery in a very muddy spot.

As you can see from the wilted Lily in the front, I was over transplanting at this time. lol


1 comment:

  1. Bill, I think you have done a fabulous job in such a short time, I can hardly wait till middle of summer to see every thing in bloom. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete