Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rose Propagation


Not a very good picture I know, but this is my attempt at propagating a rose cutting. "I've never done this before" . This cutting is not from a live rose bush, rather a cutting from a bouquet of flowers. I only started one cutting, but I have since decided to do a couple more because I would really like this to be successful. I also need to take photos of the process since I forgot the first time.
I won't tell you how to take a cutting, because I am not sure I did it right. I will tell you how I did this cutting.
First I cut a 2 liter bottle in half, filled the bottom with potting soil about 3-4 inches. I wet the soil fairly good, but not having standing water. I then took one of the flowers, and cut the stem just above a stem with five leaves on it. I then cut the stem right below a stem with 3 leaves on it. That left me with a cutting about 6-8 inches long. I dipped the bottom of the cutting into root hormone and then stuck it into the soil. (next time I will bruise the base of the cutting about an inch on the bottom) I gave it a little spritz with the spray bottle and put the top of the 2 liter back on. And Voila. Wish me luck on this endeavor, I think I will need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment