Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mid April Happenings

After planting the peas on St. Patty's Day, only three had decided to grow. I sowed new peas on the 16th because I am disgusted by the first sowing crop. They are an early harvesting peas, so I am hoping they have time to reach maturity before it gets too hot.

I prepared the new flower bed with weed barrier, top soil and organic manure. I am going to plant tall perennial flowers in this bed. I had originally envision at least 3 Knockout Roses in this bed. But unless the flower gods drop them off, they will have to wait. May's had them for $17.99 for a good sized plant, then saw them at lowe's, same size plant for $29.99 Then today I noticed they had them at Lowe's for $9.99. That is the cheapest I have found. It is a much smaller plant but its dead on with the price. It is best to buy smaller plants and let them grow into your space. Its cheaper, easier and better success rates. IMHO. I also put down some leaf mulch fairly thick to help the soil.


I love the first time I mow the yard for the season. It is always so refreshing. The excitement of the new season lies ahead. Time to really buckle down and get things wrapped up to start enjoying the fruits of labor.


I have been busy moving plants around the yard. I moved some Wild Ginger starts and Obediant plant starts to The Woodlands.

I moved some Ferns and Wild Hydrangea to the front Hosta bed.


I moved some Lily starts to replace the moving plants.


I cleaned out the chimnea, putting the ash on the lilacs and azaleas and hydrangeas.

I re potted the tomato plants.

I strung up all the lights for Lanai Gardens and The Woodlands. I had a few problems with light strands not working. I need to pick up a dark strand of lights for the Den. I enjoy more seclusion there.


I put out all of the houseplants. I know its early but I saw the five day forecast and it looks golden. That will bring us to 10 days before last frost. I have always been a bit of a gambler. Time to roll the dice. Worst case scenario, I will have to spend a couple hours preparing for a cold night.





Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment