Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Day

Today was all about being in the yard. It was beautiful today. The weather could not have been more perfect. So many days I am worried about over doing it and then having to go to work. Not today. I knew I could totaly over do it, or just relax and do pittly things. Weeding here and there, or picking up a stick or two. Or get into a big project. I chose to do a whole lot of little things that added up to a big day. I had plants that were in partial shade last year, to be in full sun this year. I knew that they needed to be moved soon. Also I had received some starts from dad today after Easter lunch. He gave me a couple of Euonymus shrubs, and a couple purple Clematis vines. This started the digging marathon. By the new flower bed I planted some shrubs and bushes. They are located on the northwest corner, so they will not shade the flower bed. I planted two Viburnum on the north end. (Last fall I prepared my viburnum to have starts this spring. I simply laid a couple of branches down. Put a rock on them to hold them down. If you want to put a little rooting hormone on the branch, even better. Just bruise the branch or cut it where you are putting the root hormone and make sure that part is touching the ground.) I then planted 3 Euonymus (burning bushes), two of which came from dad and 1 from my own yard. Then three Korean Lilacs. I knew I had a couple good Korean lilac starts, but they were promised to family members. I was strolling by one of my smaller bushes and notice I have plenty of Korean lilac starts. Most of all the shrubs I planted today are small. They don't show up in the photo very well.



The area I put all the shrubs is next to the new flower bed, which is right beside the driveway. Needless to say, the soil condition is horrible. The top 8 inches of the ground is pretty much gravel. Below that it is leaning towards clay. The plants are so small, and they had a good amount of soil around the roots. I dug the holes larger than I needed. I also put potting soil around them when I planted them. I think they will survive, only time will tell and I only have time invested in them. I moved 1 Ligularia, 5 Ostrich Ferns,1 blue Coneflower, 2 Astilbe, 3 Yuccas, 3 Rose of Sharons and 1 mystery plant. lol I can't remember the name of this plant. I remember it likes mostly shade and moist soil. The Yuccas might not survive the move but I have a few smaller ones I can always replace them with. When planting the Clematis, I had to first give them something to climb on. My dad or my sister had given me a large fan trellis they were getting rid of last year. I had a matching one by the Lanai patio. I have a white clematis growing on that trellis. A matching trellis with a different Clematis sounds nice. Once I got the trellis in the ground, I noticed that it is a few inches taller than the other. I will have to cut it down some. It looks a little strange as it is now. Then I had a friend give me some more starts. Three types of Daffodils totaling 7 clumps,



three Peonies and two Virginia Bluebelles.



I know that these plants hate to be moved at this time of year. Somtimes you have no choice. When opportunity knocks... I was trying to get them all planted before dark. I didn't make it, but they are all planted now. Nothing like watering plants in by the light of the moon. Yeah.
Oh I also spray painted the pillars and the concrete planter around the driveway. I will have to give them more support before I put any planters on the pilars.



My personal tips on transplanting;
When digging up a start, take as much soil with the plant as you can lift. lol Try not to disturb the roots as much as you can. And give them a ton of water. I really saturate the ground when transplanting uprooted plants. I keep my eye on the transplants for a 2 week grace period. Then its time to sink or swim so to speak.

1 comment: