Saturday, July 9, 2011

Muggy days

It has been a hot muggy bitch here lately, so needless to say, not a lot getting done in the gardens.  Even with all the heat, I have managed to collect a few more starts for the gardens. I might bore you with the new additions at a later posting, but for now, none are ready for a close up.  I do however have a few more Day lily blooms that I have not posted.

 This one is a beautiful Salmon color, I don't believe the picture does her justice.

 Now if she were a paint swatch, she might be called Peach Sorbet or Peaches and Cream.  Thoughts?


If you recall, late winter/early spring I had collected some Crocosmia seeds from one of my cousin's plants.  I had three seedlings emerge, and I planted them on the edge of the Herb garden.  I recently stopped back by my cousin's house to see if the plants I collected the seed from, were in bloom, and sure enough, they were.

Crocosmia are related to Gladiolas and Iris, you can tell from the foliage.

Here are a few more of my cousin's flower's that I would like to get a start of.  I see a plant swap in our future.

Balloon Flower

 I have a Day lily called Red Ribbons that is very similar to this one.

 This is an Orange version of my Lemon Lily, IMO.

Today I had two surprises in the Serenity garden.  The first surprise, was noticing that my Casa Blanca Oriental Lily was in bloom.

I was so busy admiring the lily that it took me a few minutes to notice this little angel about 4 feet away.

Did you see the little bunny in the lower center of the photo?  Now I know that some people might just die, if they saw a bunny in their gardens, however, I am not that person.  I love to see the little bunnies.  They could not possibly eat that much.  Now the damn deer on the other hand, omg.  Those little bastards can eat every flower in the garden. lol. 
Since I am talking about deer, here is a question.  I have about six deer that visit every night.  They don't technically get into the gardens each night, but they are right beside the driveway.  They seem to be drawn to this patch of dirt each night.  They are eating or licking the dirt.  Is this normal, and has anyone ever heard of such a strange habit?  Or do I just have dirty deer? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment