Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th weekend 2011

I have done quite a bit of gardening this past month, and I hope it shows.  I should focus more on the now, and less on future garden endeavors, anyway, here is a taste of the drama going down at the GG.
 
The hydrangea bed need a lift.

 The best way to get rid of a patchy grass problem, is to make it part of a flower bed.

 I decided to plant heat loving plants in the new space of the flower bed.

 Yes you should amend you're new garden bed with wonderful soil, compost, etc., but when money is tight, turn over the soil and slap in some starts.

 Better stepping stones to access the front porch with ease.

 After collecting suitable plants for the flower bed and a few hours of labor, a new flower bed that cost no money.


Elephant ears
This was the sight after I planted the elephant ears that were overwintered in the house.  They were a droopy mess, so I just cut them back to the ground after this photo was taken.

 About 2 weeks later,

 And now they are thriving.

Castors and Cosmos

Canna Lilies
 It might be hard to tell from this photo, but the Cannas are at least 3 feet tall.

Purple Bee Balm
I have to be honest, I thought that this was a weed last year.  I am glad I did not cut it down again.

Filependula bloom.


The ever changing backdrop of the fountain.
 Here is the fountain a month ago.

 Someone pulled up this Yew and threw it away.  I thought I could save it, so I scooped it up and planted it, watering every other day.  I had high hopes.

 After the Yew decided to bite the dust, quickly, I thought I would transplant the Old fashion Hydrangeas.  I think it will be a perfect spot for them.

So the Hydrangeas were looking like complete shit after their move.  They were under transplant shock, so I did what anyone else would do.  I cut them down.  Now not to fret, they will come back.  I should start seeing signs of life soon and next year they will look amazing behind the fountain.  The white blooms will pop and bring life to this corner of the garden.

Bougainvillea
I have had this vine for a couple of years.  The foliage has always looked good, but never a bloom.  I have to admit that my pruning habits were the reason for lack of blooms.  As Oprah said, "when you know better, you do better".

Serenity gardens
This photo was taken about a month ago.


Pink Rose of Sharon
This is the first bloom off of one of the transplants that I have used for the new hedge.


Water Pickerel


Day lilies
As always, if you know the name of a plant, feel free to comment and tell me what the hell I have. Thank you.









 Christmas Time


 Stella

 Almost Black Asiatic Lily

 Oriental Muscadet Lily

Plumeria 
The new leaves off this Red Plumeria are about 2 inches tall.
 The first new leaves from one of the 5 cuttings I took from the above plant.


 Not sure if you can see the difference in the photo above and below.  Above you can see the white edge to the bottom left of the cut. Below, you can see how the white part on the left below the cut has swollen, this will turn into a leaf.

 You can see the new leaves on the top of this cutting.  It was an end piece, and these leaves were already there, so I am not sure if they are going to start growing.

Grocery store hydrangea.


 We had friends come to visit this 4th of July weekend.  I couldn't even think about picnic food, we have had that a lot lately, so I decided to give this party a twist.  An Asian twist.  I served egg rolls and Crab Rangoon's along with Lemon chicken, but I did use the red whit and blue theme.





No comments:

Post a Comment