Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Canna Lily seeds

I did a little research on propagating Canna Lily seeds. Turns out it is quite easy, once you get the seed chipped. So they say. I found all kind of suggestions online, everything from using a Dremel tool to boiling the seed. I was a little nervous about boiling my seeds. That had disaster written all over it. But after trying to chip 30 seeds, boiling was looking a lot better.

In the smaller jar, I nicked each of these seeds, then soaked them in water. Now this sounds easier than it was. I had to hold the seed with a pair of pliers in one hand. With the other hand, I had to use a paring knife to chip the seed. I did not want to go too deep for fear of damaging the seed. My paring knife is sharp as hell, and I had to really work to get the job done. I managed to get 30 seeds done, and that was enough. My fingers were spent.That is why I decided to boil the rest.

In the larger glass jar, are the seeds that I boiled. I waited until the water started to bubble, then I added the seeds and removed the pan from the heat. It was almost immediately that I heard them crackling. I then added cold water to the boiling water to stop the boiling process.

Only time will tell which, if either, will be successful.

1 comment:

  1. lol What will you NOT do for the love of a flower? Poor fingers :-(( LU,Nana Lois...

    ReplyDelete