Thursday, May 19, 2011

Deer detourant

As you know, I have tried many things to detour the deer from the yard.  Everything from hanging wind chimes to putting dog hair all over the yard.  Nothing seems to matter, our deer are relentless.  I have decided to make it a bit harder for them to get into the front yard.  I started planting a living fence that will cover the majority of the yard.  They will only have access to the front yard from the driveway and front walk.  Maybe this will keep them out.  Probably not, but what the hell, it is worth a try, and I will only have my time and energy invested in the project.

Here is the east arbor.  This will be the only entrance into the yard from the east side of the property.  I have a plan on what will keep the deer from walking through the arbor, more on that in another posting. I do not plan on leaving that random stepping stone there.  It just happens to be there.

I need a couple of landscape timbers to build a step or two.
  I am planning on putting in a couple more climbers to take over the arbor.  As ugly as that arbor is, you will never see it once the climbers take over.

The hedge is going to be a work in progress.  I started with a bunch of Rose of Sharon's today.  I managed to get a few starts from Dad today, but I hit the jackpot in the backyard. 

 Dad brought down the stakes that I used for the veggie garden, and tied the bushes to them.  This should help them stay vertical.  They have a tendency to lean with the wind if you do not secure them.

 I plan on planting various shrubs between the Rose of Sharon's, alternating sides. Forsythia, Korean Lilac, Common Lilac, Burning bushes to name a few.   I do not want a straight line, hell there is nothing straight here at the ghetto gardens. I also planted some ribbon grass at the base of the plants.  I will probably live to regret that move but I need something that would help me from having to weed around all those bushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment